Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Women I Heart and Admire

I have so much going on in my life right now and I don’t know how and when to start, what to prioritize, and what to do exactly. At 26, I still feel clueless! Nevertheless, I’m proud to be a multi-tasker. BUT, most of the time doing so many things at the same time could be daunting and wouldn't allow me achieve my tasks efficiently and effectively. So in times of confusion and frustration, I just remember some of these women (fact or fiction, hehe) who never fail to inspire me and give me the boost to get going.

1. Mama

My mother is one of the toughest and strongest people I know. If only I could have half of her strength and courage then I’m already good, hehe! At 19, she became a mom already. I can’t imagine how she did it but she did a great job in raising us. Even though she married young, she finished her studies and even got a job and business later on. I admire my mom because despite our distance she still manages to make time in talking to us, hearing our stories, celebrating our milestones, and helping us during times of crises. I do hope, however, that our relationship will go beyond the phone calls and emails. That eventually we will be physically together. But I’m not complaining ‘coz just hearing her voice is an enough assurance that I’m not alone.

2. Anne Curtis-Smith

This lady is my girl crush!!! I get kilig whenever I see her. But hey, I’m straight ok? J She is more than a pretty face and a sexy body. She is funny, witty and a total sweetheart. She doesn’t take herself too seriously at times but is very motivated in achieving her dreams. We are all witnesses when she finally grabbed the Best Actress and Box Office Queen awards. We can also testify that despite having a "low-quality" voice she managed to sell albums and concert tickets. This lady is a living proof that there is no such thing as an impossible dream! The best thing about her??? She’s effortlessly gorgeous!!! :) She has a no-nonsense personality that I admire. Isn't she the coolest woman ever?!?! She's the kind of girl friend you would like to have and the kind of girlfriend you would want to be with your boyfriend! She's such an icon! :)

A fresh-faced lifestyle blogger, former MTV VJ and pre-school teacher, events host, and college instructor - and the list goes on!!! Gosh I want to be in her shoes! She is not only pretty but is very smart as well. Like Anne, she's also kalog. She also maintains a blog which I like visiting frequently because I learn so much from her about people & places, weddings, tips, travels, and just about anything! I also get to be inspired to be a better woman.She is actually the one that got me into blogging because I want to exercise my mind once in a while (haha!).

I think she is the embodiment of today's Filipina - independent yet family-oriented, confident yet still conservative, driven but grounded, and beautiful inside and out. Isn't it obvious already how much I admire this girl? :)


Just recently, I found out that she and Atom Araullo (the cutest newsman in the country, former 5 and Up host, Milo commercial model, triathlete, blah, blah... I don't know who you are if you still don't know him, haha!!!) were together for four years. I've read a lot of blog entries about their break up and how devastated people were of the sad news. My gosh, where have I been that I don't even know this?!?! Anyway, Patty deleted her previous blog because it contains a lot of entries about Atom. She only started her current blog when she had finally moved on and found a new love in Patrick Filart. These are just my hypotheses. Haha. But what I'm really sure of is that she is happily engaged and so excited in getting married. Now, every woman can relate to Patty. That's her magic. She has bloopers too just like us. She is a work-in-progress. She dreams of her Prince Charming and we were all happy for her when Patrick finally ask her to marry him. The proposal was such a romantic gesture. Her love story made us believe that no great heartbreak can stop us from finding our true love. If things didn't work out then, God will give us the person who will made us believe again. 

4. CamilleCo

At 23, she is a fashion designer/entrepreneur/model/stylist/blogger. Whew! What a busy life she has! But that doesn't stop her from being pretty almost every time. Don't get me wrong. She is not only one of the best fashion bloggers in the country but she has also made a name of herself in the fashion industry. This girl is determined of making it big someday. She is just starting and I can already see her becoming one of the influential people in the fashion world. Camille may seem aloof but it makes me happy knowing that she really takes time to reply to all her fan mails in her blog. Sweet! No other blogger in the country does that actually, I think. This lady inspires me to go out and explore the world. You see she travels a lot and I do hope I'll get to visit some (if not all) the places she featured in her blog. She also inspire me to love dressing up because it can actually help boost our confidence and will tell a lot about ourselves. You bet she's my favorite fashionista in town! :)

5. Prof. Viola C. Siozon
i hope mam viola won't get mad at me for grabbing this pic from her fb :)
I've got a lot of amazing teachers from prep to graduate school but this woman really stands out. She stood out above the rest despite her cute height, haha! She is barely 4'9" but the way she carries herself makes her taller than a 5'11" supermodel. Her sunny disposition and intelligence lightens up a room. It is always nice talking to her because you will learn a lot from her wisdom. She did not only teach our class about Strategic Mgt, Entrep, etc...but more importantly she taught us about life. She has high hopes for us that's why she also wants us to dream big. She believes that we can make it in this dog-eat-dog world if only we will strive and never stop learning.

6. Tyra Banks

Now who doesn't watch America's Next Top Model?!? It's every girl's fantasy to be a model and perfect the smize! :) Right?!?! But Tyra is beyond perfection. She is even the first one to point out her flaws - long forehead and big hips. In an industry where criticisms of your features can be harsh, she remained strong and determined to be the Supermodel she is now. In fact, she is not only a supermodel. She became a TV host, producer, actress, spokesperson, writer, philanthropist, etc! She used her popularity to be an advocate of some serious issues too like "no to skinny models and yes to healthy bodies" and "no to abusive relationships." Definitely her career has go beyond modelling. She has diverted into other aspects of her interests. Just like what she usually tells the contestants in ANTM - know who you are, develop your strengths, work out your weaknesses, let loose!

7. Christine Ha

If you don't know how to cook, you'll be ashamed to know that the winner of US Masterchef season 3 is a blind woman. Yes, Christine Ha is blind and she is the best among the thousands who auditioned for the season. You may wonder how she did it but it is definitely not luck. She said that she depends a lot more on the other senses to cook - taste, smell, how certain ingredients feel. She added that cooking without sight involves a lot of organization. *sigh* I can never ever tell someone anymore  that it's impossible to cook. Now, when will I start?!?! :)

8. Spencer Hastings of Pretty Little Liars (Troian Bellisario)
Spencer is one of my favorite TV characters. She is smart and competitive but is a very good friend. She may be busy with a lot of school activities but she makes time in solving crimes, haha! Apart from being a good "detective" she is also an achiever and will do whatever it takes to be on top always. This girl inspires me to be a fighter and not let anything stop you from going after your dreams.

9. Andrea “Andy” Sachs of The Devil Wears Prada (Anne Hathaway)

We can somehow relate to Andy Sachs. She was naive and hopeful when she went to New York to become a journalist. We all know what she went through under the evil hands of Miranda Priestly. Things have been rough for her to the point that she wasn't herself anymore. Thankfully, her values helped her to realize things and eventually she find herself again and a better one this time. Andy all inspired us that we should never forget the person we were when we were just starting. Success isn't about being famous nor having beautiful things. It's about being happy with what you're doing and being with the people who really matters in your life.

10. Kirsti Mallari
This lady bought her own car and condo, and made her first million before she was even 23!!! Crazy right?!?! But she did!

I read her story in Cosmopolitan magazine (October 2012 issue, "I Saved Up For My Dream!). She came from humble beginnings in Aparri and had to work for everything she had in the big city. She eventually became an entrepreneur later on. Nowadays it's kinda impossible to make millions as an employee. It's also wise to invest your money in a variety of financial basket, just like Kirsti. Gosh, how I wish I had her guts and determination. It's never too late. Baby steps everyday towards my dreams.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Darleen,

    Such an honor to be part of your list, especially I'm not a celeb or anything! ;)
    I know you can make things happen too. Be driven and stay driven. :)

    Thank you,
    Kirsti

    ReplyDelete