Thursday, September 6, 2012

Post Break-Up

I often hear celebrities who just went a break-up say, "Now I finally have more time with my self, with my family and friends! I can finally pursue my passions now!" Well, something like that. My point is, this does not only happens to celebrities but to average Joe's and Jane's as well. After a break-up we would finally found ourselves having more time to spend with people we used to take for granted before and pursue the dreams we used to postponed. Why? Do relationships (romantic relationships I mean..bf-gf, bf-bf, gf-gf, no discrimination here, hehe) create a world wherein it's only you and your partner that exist? Do relationships absorb most of the lovers' time that they don't have time to mingle with other people anymore? Do relationships occupy most of your planning since you always have to consider your partner's feelings? Do relationships stop you from doing things you love doing on your own? Well, if it does...then relationships suck!!! But why do majority of the people still prefers to be committed than to be single? I guess we all know the answer to that. It feels good to love and be loved. Period. If you're still not convinced... being in a (monogamous) relationship allows you to feel secured and really happy. Don't get me wrong, you can still be secured and happy when you're single but it's different when you're in a relationship. At the end of your stressful day, your partner is there willing to listen to your crappy stories while he's hugging you (aawww...). Come on, it's a different kind of euphoria when you're in love!!! :) But being in love can sometimes feel like you're on drugs. It can make you feel so "high" and traps you from living in reality. This is when the problem sets in. 

Unconsciously, one tend to spend most of their time with their partners. Some may even invite their boyfriends, lets say, to a girls night out! Or vice-versa. Chores are put on hold because bf is too busy talking over the phone to gf. Jobs/studies are sacrificed because gf is constantly texting bf. Emergency dates with girlfriends are sacrificed because schedules will be checked first if it's not their nth monthsary. Hey, I'm no exception here. I'm also guilty at times that's why I've been doing a lot of thinking lately on how to balance my life and priorities - God, family, boyfriend, friends, work, school, ME time, etc....

Indeed it's about setting your priorities and self-management. We don't need a break-up to realize that we have friends and family. We don't have to wait to be single before we can finally do our long overdue bucket lists. We can do it even if we're committed. I believe that a balanced,FULL life is achievable. It's important that you and your partner have an open communication on how you will set your priorities other than your relationship. It's also essential to be open-minded that your partner's life doesn't just revolve on you... to trust your partner that even though you're not together most of the time you don't constantly check on him/her (paranoid??? haha!!)... to support each other's endeavors... to understand each other's setbacks, shortcomings and lapses... to respect each other's differences, time with other people... to put God in the center of your relationship... 

And...enjoy the relationship.. love each other sincerely... be sensitive of each other's needs... have a good laugh always... do something new together... do something you both love doing together... enjoy your quiet moments... be intimate (it's up to you what intimate means, haha!)... be there especially during trying times of your partner... pray together... 

I talk too much!!! Haha!!! I just wanna share what I've learned from experiences but that doesn't make me an expert on love & relationships... I'm still learning too :)

Have a nice day people! :)

2 comments: